Sunday, October 2, 2011

Stone Temple Pilots - Core

Stone Temple Pilots - Core
Download:  www.mediafire.com/?jzkzhwjt1h2
Release:  1992

Story by Donny Mutt, head nacho at Pizza Friends and bassist for Quiet Arcs.

The Bar-B-Que Mitzvah Tour in 1993 was the first concert I have ever attended.  This tour consisted of The Flaming Lips, Stone Temple Pilots and The Butthole Surfers and they performed in that order the night I saw them.  Once Stone Temple Pilots started to have videos on MTV, I quickly ran out to The Wall and picked up their debut release Core on cassette tape.  At this point in my life, I was full on into the mainstream grunge bands that MTV would play.  Stone Temple Pilots quickly became a favorite of mine with their heavy rock/grunge sound and interesting lyrics.  In all honesty, I had only heard of Stone Temple Pilots and knew one song by The Flaming Lips ("She Don't Use Jelly") before attending this concert.  Being that this was my first concert, I had no idea what to expect.  In my mind, I thought it was going to be utter chaos, non-stop slam dancing, crowd surfing and a few fights to keep it interesting.  I asked my older metalhead brother if I could borrow his work boots for the night to protect my feet in the "mosh pit" that would inevitably ensue.  He laughed, gave me his boots and then told me to get out of his room.  The other essential pieces of clothing for the evening were my Pearl Jam t-shirt and a flannel long-sleeve to tie around my waste.  If you have ever seen the movie Singles, then you know exactly the look I am talking about.  Later that night, I met up with my friends and we got to the venue for the show.  We wandered around and eventually made our way to our seats.  The Flaming Lips were good, but I was not a fan.  Once Stone Temple Pilots took the stage, I was in total awe and amazement.  They opened up with "Sex Type Thing" and the rest of the set was a blur.  The singer Scott Weiland wore a dress the whole set and they sounded incredible.  The Butthole Surfers were the headlining band, and to be honest, I didn't really like them much.  I had only heard the songs that were on Beavis & Butthead, so my interest in the band was minimal.  Chances are I just didn't get what they were doing musically at that time in my life.  I went to this show to see one band and one band only: Stone Temple Pilots.

No comments:

Post a Comment